Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flashback Friday ~ One Long Sunday Blog

Yes, I know it's Saturday. Sometime last night between eating left-over Chinese takeout and watching re-runs of Num3ers, I totally passed out. What can I say? I was tired. So, we're gonna begin this flashback friday series on the wrong path. I'm used to things being a little awry.


This is my great-grandmother, Estelle (isn't that name fabulous?!) She was born in 1890 and looks to be about 30-ish in this photo. I'm gonna guess this was taken sometime in the early 1920's. Can you just imagine being a woman in the 1920's? Her husband probably never would have let her ride this Harley, but she got away with sittin' on it and that, in itself, was surely a thrill for her. "Forget the dishes," I can hear her holler, "I'm gonna try my hand on that hog!" Did they call 'em hogs back then? Haha, anyway, I don't know much about my great-grandmother. I know she was 103 years old when she passed away. I can recall family members referring to her as "crazy grandma" in her final months or years. She developed Alzheimer's and couldn't remember anyone anymore.

Well, I remember her. Even if the memories I have are of stories I've heard and pictures I've seen, I do remember her.

5 comments:

  1. Well, if I remember correctly, this was great-grandfather Clyde's Harley. He used to deliver the U.S. Mail on this bike. And they used to ride it together.
    Notice the seat behind her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treasure those memories.......what a joy she must have been to have around. Great picture!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, Kimmie, do you still have my geneology book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool she got to ride on the back! Haha, I remember doing that with you when we were all kids :) Yes, I do still have your genealogy book and I think I could spend a lifetime pouring through it and searching for more answers to any missing info. I will finish copying it and then pass it back to ya, but it's in good hands, I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In her younger years, she was a school teacher, too!

    ReplyDelete